Prof. J.F. MACHIWA
University of Dar es Salaam
Department of Aquatic Science and Fisheries
P.O. Box 35064, Dar es Salaam, TANZANIA
Teaches undergraduate courses in the fields of Chemical Oceanography, Aquatic resources and Management and Aquatic Pollution.
AQ 316 Aquatic Pollution 2 Units: Taught during 1st semester (Create link to undergraduate course synopsis, Professor's teaching program of the course, notes, assignments and exam timetable)
Management of Aquatic Pollution
PUBLICATIONS IN REFEREED JOURNAL
1. Machiwa, J.F. 1992. Trace metals in coastal sediments off Dar es Salaam, Tanzania Environment International, 18: 409-415
2. Machiwa, J.F., Mgaya, Y.D. and Ndaro, S.G.M. 1992. A preliminary consideration of the role of Mangroves in nutrient and organic fluxes in the Rufiji delta system, Tanzania. East African Journal of Science (Biological series) 1: 15-27
3. Machiwa, J.F. 1992. Anthropogenic pollution in the Dar es Salaam harbour area, Tanzania. Marine Pollution Bulletin, 24: 562-567
4. , R.O. 1995. Flora and crabs in a mangrove forest partly distorted by human activities, Zanzibar. Ambio 24: 492-496
5. Machiwa, J.F. 1998. Distribution and remineralization of organic carbon in sediments of a mangrove stand partly contaminated with sewage waste. Ambio 27: 740-744
6. Machiwa, J.F. 1999. Lateral fluxes of organic carbon in a mangrove forest partly contaminated with sewage waste. Mangroves and Salt marshes 3: 95-104.
7. Machiwa, J.F. 2000. Heavy metals and organic pollutants in sediments of Dar es Salaam harbour prior to dredging in 1999. Tanzania Journal of Science 26: 29-45
8. Machiwa, J.F. 2000. 13C signatures of flora, macrofauna and sediment of a mangrove forest partly affected by sewage wastes. Tanzania Journal of Science 26: 15-27
9. Machiwa , J.F. and Hallberg, R.O. 2002. An empirical model of the fate of organic carbon in a mangrove forest partly affected by anthropogenic activity Ecological Modelling 147: 69-83
10. Kishe, M.A. and Machiwa, J.F. 2003. Distribution of heavy metals in sediments of Mwanza Gulf of Lake Victoria, Tanzania. Environment International 28: 619-625
11. Mremi, S.D. and Machiwa, J.F. 2003. Heavy metal contamination of mangrove sediments and the associated biota in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. Tanzania Journal of Science 29 (No 1): 61-76
12. Machiwa, J.F. 2003. Metal concentrations in sediment and fish of Lake Victoria near and away from catchments with gold mining activities. Tanzania Journal of Science 29 (No.2): 43-54
13. Machiwa, J.F. 2003. Concentrations of metals in river sediment and wetland vegetation in mining sites, Lake Victoria basin, Tanzania. Tanzania Journal of Science 29(No.2): 81-88
14. Machiwa, J.F., Lugomela, C., Muzuka. A.N.N. 2004. Phytoplankton and nutrients studies in Magu Bay, Speke Gulf, Lake Victoria, (Tanzania), following the 2001 principal rain season. Tanzania Journal of Science 30 (1): 33 - 42
15. Machiwa, J.F. 2004. Total mercury concentration in common fish species of Lake Victoria, Tanzania. Tanzania Journal of Science 30 (2): 11 - 20
16. Ngoye, E. and Machiwa, J.F. 2004. The influence of land-use patterns in the Ruvu River watershed on water quality in the river system. Physics and Chemistry of the Earth 29: 1161-1166
17. Taylor, H, Appleton, J.D, Lister, R., Smith, B., Chitamweba, D., Mkumbo, O., Machiwa, J.F., Tesha, A.L. and Beinhoff, C. 2005. Environmental assessment of mercury contamination from the Rwamagasa artisanal gold mining centre, Geita District, Tanzania. Science of the Total Environment 343: 111-133
18. Machiwa J.F. 2005. Metals in Nile perch (Lates niloticus) and Suspended ParticulateMatter from Lake Victoria, Tanzania. Journal of Environmental Science and Health Part A 40 (9): 1809 - 1822
19. Muzuka, A.N.N., Machiwa, J.F., Lugomela, C. 2005. Recent trends in Accumulation rate, elemental and isotopic composition of organic matter in the Magu Bay, Lake Victoria. Tanzania Journal of Science 31 (1) 23 - 34
20. Mtanga A. and Machiwa J.F. 2007. Heavy metal pollution levels in water and oysters, Saccostrea cucullata, from Mzinga Creek and Ras Dege mangrove ecosystems, Tanzania. African Journal of Aquatic Science 32 (3): 235 - 244
21. Mtanga, A. and Machiwa, J.F. 2007. Assessment of heavy metal pollution in sediment and polychaete worms from the Mzinga Creek and Ras Dege mangrove ecosystems, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. Western Indian Ocean J. Mar. Sci. 6(2) 125 - 135
22. Ideva, RJ., Machiwa, J.F. Schiemer F and Hein, T. 2008. Effect of an impoundment on nutrient dynamics in the Kihansi River, Tanzania. African J. Aquatic Sci. 33: 181-188
23. Gaspare L., Machiwa, J.F., Mdachi, SJ.M., Streck, G. and Brack, W. 2009 Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH) contamination of surface sediments and oysters from the intertidal areas of Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. Environmental Pollution 157: 24-34
24. Machiwa, J.F. Nature of suspended particulate matter and concentration of heavy metals in sediment in the southern part of Lake Victoria, East Africa (Submitted: African Journal of Aquatic Science).
25. Machiwa, J.F. Stable carbon and nitrogen isotopic signatures of organic matter sources in the southern part of Lake Victoria (Journal of Great Lakes Research).
26. Machiwa, J.F. Heavy metal levels in paddy soils and rice from some wetlands in the southern part of Lake Victoria Basin, Tanzania, East Africa. (Tanzania Science Journal)
27. Machiwa, J.F. Suitability of the proposed environmental quality guidelines for the coastal zone of the Western Indian Ocean Region for monitoring of the
28. coastal marine environment of Tanzania. (African Journal of Marine Science)
BOOK AND CHAPTERS IN BOOKS
1. Machiwa, J.F. 1989. Heavy metal load in Estuarine Sediments contaminated by acidic mine drainage. Proceedings of workshop on Environmental Pollution and its Management in Eastern Africa. Faculty of Science, UDSM, 11th - 15th Sept.1989. p.236 -240.
2. Shunula, J.P. and Machiwa, J.F. 1990. Seagrass and algae surveys in the Malindi National Marine park and Diani beach, Kenya. In: Coral ecosystems workshop, Malindi, Kenya. 25th sept. - 6th Oct. 1989. Rapport technique No. 2 COMAR/UNESCO. p. 38-44
3. Kishe, M.A and Machiwa, J.F 2001. Heavy metal content in Oreochromis niloticus (Linn. 1757) from Mwanza Gulf, Lake Victoria, Tanzania. In: Ndaro, S.G.M. and Kishimba M. (eds). Sharing of Knowledge, information and Experience among stakeholders in Lake Victoria Basin. Proceedings of the LVEMP-Tanzania 2001 Scientific Conference, 6th - 10th August, 2001, Mwanza, Tanzania. p. 117-127
4. Kishe, M.A. and Machiwa, J.F. 2002. Mercury levels in sediment and fish (O. niloticus) from Mwanza Gulf of Lake Victoria, Tanzania. In: Mgaya, Y.D., Msaki, P.K. and Kivaisi, A.K. (eds) Current Trends in Environmental Science Research in Eastern Africa. Proceedings of on International Symposium on Scientific Research on Environment. September 23rd - 26th, 2002. Dar es Salaam, Faculty of Science. p. 146-152
NON REFEREED PUBLICATION/REPORTS
1. Machiwa, J.F. 1988. Geochemical cycling of heavy metals in a polluted estuarine environment. M.Phil. thesis, University of Wales (UK)
2. Machiwa, J.F. 1999. Fate of organic carbon in a tropical mangrove forest. PhD dissertation, University of Stockholm (Sweden).
3. Mgaya, Y.D., Machiwa, J.F., Lugomela, C., Lyimo, T., Joseph, C., Muzuka, A.,Shaghude, Y., Mvungi, A., Mapunda, B. and Mwanuzi, F.L. 2004. Environmental studies of Mtoni Mangrove ecosystem, Dar es Salaam. Faculty of Science, UDSM. 105 pp.
4. Machiwa, J.F. 2006. Water mediated transport of sewage in a mangrove ecosystem. Work Package 3 Report. Peri-Urban Mangroves Forests as Filters and Potential Phytoremediators of Domestic Sewage In East Africa (PUMPSEA). Commission of the European Communities, Research Directorate - General. INCO, Contract no. 510863
5. Ministry of Water 2008. Lake Victoria Environmental Management Project: National Project Document. Submitted to the World Bank by the Ministry of Water, Tanzania.
6. Ministry of Water 2007. Monitoring and Evaluation Framework for Lake Victoria Environmental Management Project Phase II. Submitted to the World Bank by the Ministry of Water, Tanzania.
7. Ministry of Water 2007. The Baseline Survey of Lake Victoria Basin for Lake Victoria Environmental Management Project Phase II. Submitted to the World Bank by the Ministry of Water, Tanzania.
1. Machiwa, J.F., Y.D. Mgaya, S.G.M. 1991. Environmental impact assessment study of the proposed Dar es Salaam harbour expansion project. Report for Scott Bertlin consulting Engineers and Planners (Surrey, England). 35p.
2. Ndaro, S.G.M. and Machiwa, J.F. 1991. Biological information on prawn culture echniques. Prepared for M/S Mehboob H. Hashim, Director of Prawn culture project - Tanzania. 40p.
3. Machiwa, J.F. and Benno, B.L. 1992. Environmental impact assessment of the proposed extension of the Songo Songo jetty. Report for Scott Bertlin Consulting Engineers and Planners (UK). 30p.
4. Machiwa, J.F., Ndaro, S.G.M., Benno, B.L. and Mziray, G.L. 1993. Dar es Salaam Port Development Study 1994 - 2004; Environmental Study Report. Prepared for S.L.I. consultants, c/o Lea Nedco J.V. Dar es Salaam. 35p.
5. Tamatamah, R., Benno, B., Machiwa, J.F., and Lyimo, T. 1994. Studies of the Limnology and Fisheries of the Mtera reservoir (Ten years after the impoundment). Report commissioned by SWECO consultants, Stockholm
6. Machiwa, J.F., Muzuka, A.N.N., Dubi, A.M., Ndaro, S.G.M and Lugomela, C. 2003. Sedimentation studies at the Simiyu River mouth (Magu Bay, Speke Gulf), Lake Victoria, Tanzania. Report submitted to Lake Victoria Environmental Management Project. 97pp
7. Machiwa, J.F., Kishe, M.A., Mbilinyi, H.G., Mdamo, A. and Mnyanza, O, 2003. Impact of gold mining in Lake Victoria Basin on mercury levels in the environment. Report submitted to Lake Victoria, Tanzania. Report submitted to Lake Victoria Environmental Management Project. 46pp
8. Machiwa, J.F. 2004. Levels of some toxic metals and organochlorine pesticide residues in Lower Kihansi River water and sediment. A report submitted to Lower Kihansi Environmental Management Project, Vice President's Office, Dar es Salaam.
9. Misana, S.B., R.D. Toba, K.N. Njau, J.H.Y. Katima, J. Machiwa, E.A.M. Mjema, B.A.T. Kundi and A.A. Mvungi. 2006. National Framework: Monitoring and Communication for the Lake Victoria Basin. A report submitted to Ministry of Water (MTB/VPO/2004/2005/03) by Bureau for Industrial Cooperation (BICO).
10. Njau, K.N., J.H.Y. Katima, B.A.T. Kundi, S.B. Misana, Y. Mgaya, P. Yanda, J.F. Machiwa, R.D. Toba 2006. Applied Research Programme for Lake Victoria Basin. A report submitted to Ministry of Water (MTB/VPO/2004/2005/03) by Bureau for Industrial Cooperation (BICO).
11. Machiwa, J.F. and Mamboya, F. 2007. Swedish Ethanol Chemistry AB (SEKAB) Bioenergy Project: Inventory of Fauna and Flora in the intertidal area in Kitame, Bagamoyo. Prepared for Orgut Consulting AB, Svartmangatan 9, 111 29 Stockholm, Sweden.
12. Machiwa, J.F., Shilla, D., Wagner, G.M. and Kabigumila, J. 2008. Report on Aquatic Ecosystems short course conducted from 6th - 20th June 2008 at Grand Imperial Hotel, Kampala for Applied Training Project, Nile Basin Initiative.
University of Dar es Salaam, Mwalimu Julius Kambarage Nyerere Mlimani Campus,
Dar es Salaam,
College of Agricultural Sciences and Fisheries Technology,
University of Dar es Salaam
P.O. Box 35091& 60091
DAR ES SALAAM,
Tel: +255 22 2410462.
Fax: +255 22 2410480/2650244
Website : www.coasft.udsm.ac.tz